Date of birth:
19 - 08 - 1978
Place of birth:
Department of Physics
University of Thessaloniki
GR-54124 Thessaloniki, Greece
+30 - 2310 - 998119
+30 - 2310 - 998042
|Date of birth:||19 - 08 - 1978|
|Place of birth:||Veria, Greece|
|Current address:||Department of Physics University of Thessaloniki GR-54124 Thessaloniki, Greece|
|Telephone:||+30 - 2310 - 998119|
|Fax:||+30 - 2310 - 998042|
|2005 - 2009||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Physics Department Ph.D. Thesis titled "Statistical Mechanics of Complex Systems and Networks". Supervisor: Prof. P. Argyrakis.|
|2003 - 2005||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Physics Department Graduate Student at the Graduate Studies Program on Computational Physics. Graduated with Grade: 9.69/10.|
|1998 - 2003||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Physics Department Undergraduate Student in the Department of Physics of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. Graduated with Grade: 7.77/10.|
- I was awarded the EPEAEK II scholarship for scoring the highest grade (10/10) at the 2nd, 3rd and 4th semester of my studies at the Graduate Studies Program on Computational Physics of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
- I have very good knowledge of English.
- I have a basic knowledge of Italian.
- Extended experience in installation, administration and teaching of the Unix/Linux and MS Windows /NT/2000/XP operating systems.
- Use of most general commercial packages (word processing, spreadsheets, mathematics, image processing applications).
- Extended programming experience in C, C++ and Mathematica.
Scientific Publications - ConferencesPublications in Journals
(1) A. Garas and P. Argyrakis, "Filtering of complex systems using overlapping tree networks", Europhys. Lett. 86 28005 (2009). PDF
(2) A. Garas and P. Argyrakis, "A network approach for the scientific collaboration in the European Framework Programs", Europhys. Lett. 84 68005 (2008). PDF
(3) A. Garas, P. Argyrakis and S. Havlin, "The structural role of weak and strong links in a financial market network", Eur. Phys. J. B 63, 265-271 (2008). PDF
(4) A. Garas and P. Argyrakis, Correlation study of the Athens Stock Exchange, Physica A, 380, 399 (2007). PDFParticipation in Schools and Conferences
- XXV Panhellenic Conference on Solid State Physics and Materials Science (2009).
- Deutsche Physikalische Gesellschaft, Dresden 2009.
- SPANGEO project meeting Bordeaux, France 2009.
- The 5th European Conference in Complex Systems, Jerusalem - Israel 2008.
- The 4th PhD European Complexity School, Jerusalem - Israel 2008.
- GIACS Summer School on Applications of Complex Systems to Social Sciences, Kazimierz Dolny - Poland 2006.
- Grid in Finance, 1st International Workshop on Grid Technology for Financial Modeling and Simulation, Palermo - Italy 2006.
- 13th School on Computing Techniques in Physics "Parallelization of Algorithms in Physics", Trest - Czech Republic 2002
- DESY Summer Student Program, Member of the HERA-B Group, Zeuthen - Germany 2002.
|2009||Contract with the Research Committee of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (A.U.Th.) for the project INTERCONY: Interface Controlled Nucleation and Crystallisation for Nanoparticle Synthesis.|
|2005 - 2008||Contract with the Research Committee of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (A.U.Th.) for the project PENED: Structure and dynamics of the Internet and the World Wide Web - Tolerance, immunization and search techniques.|
|2005 - 2006||Contract with the C. N. R. - Istituto Nazionale per la Fisica della Materia for the project: Dinamica dell' order book in mercati finanziari.|
|2006||Contract with the Research Committee of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (A.U.Th.) for the project DY.SO.NET: Human behaviour through dynamics of complex social networks: An interdisciplinary approach.|
|2005||Contract with the Research Committee of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (A.U.Th.) for the project: Advanced telematic services and applications to the education at the network AUTHNET of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.|
|2005||Contract with the Research Committee of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (A.U.Th.) for the project EDUnet III : Development and support of advanced telematic services for the secondary educational units of the regions of Thessaloniki, Serres and Pella.|
|2004||Contract with the Research Committee of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (A.U.Th.) for the project: Support of the information systems of schools at the regions of Thessaloniki, Serres and Pella.|
Teaching and Professional ExperienceTeaching Experience
|2006||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Physics Department Teaching Assistant at the Graduate Course in Computational Physics: Computational Solid State Physics.|
|1999 - 2000||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Physics Department Teaching Assistant for three semesters at the computer laboratory class for undergraduate students.|
|2005 - 2006||Observatory of Complex Systems, University of Palermo - Italy I was a member of the O.C.S. group and I studied the dynamics of the bid - ask spread in the order book of double auction markets. My research was supervised by Prof. R. N. Mantegna.|
|2003||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Polytechnic Department I was member of the organizing committee of the 5th SOLID MECHANICS CONFERENCE (ESMC).|
|2003||Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Physics Department Member of the Thessaloniki ATLAS Group.|
|2002||DESY Summer Student Program I worked at the HERA-B group, studying the multiple scattering of simulated particles traversing the HERA-B detector using GEANT. A report of this work is available in PDF|
|2001 - 2005||Computational Physics Lab - A.U.Th. System administration in the Computational Physics Lab of the Department of Physics of the A.U.Th.|
|1999 - 2003||Informatics Lab - Dept. Of Physics - A.U.Th. System maintenance, administration and introduction of freshman students to Unix and Novel OS, Department of Physics, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.|